Trust issues
Previous post

Our imperfect, perfect wedding

Our imperfect, perfect wedding

Our imperfect, perfect wedding

My wedding day was imperfect and beautiful.

I say imperfect because not all the things that you put into place really happen on the day and there is nothing you can do about it!

My focus on my day was on the overwhelming presence that I felt within me which was God’s peace. Although in my single years, I had always imagined what my wedding day would look and feel like, I had not given much thought to how I myself would be actually feeling, and what I would be thinking when the big day came.

It is a day that is filled with so much anticipation, expectation, nerves and emotion and with such a big build up, I could have let the little hiccups here and there ruin the whole day…

For example;

I had always thought that when the time came for me to walk down the aisle my mind would be overwhelmingly filled with the wonderful awesome thought of that day the Bridegroom (Christ) receives His bride (me), and how awesome that Stan and I got to experience its shadow here on earth..

My thoughts were rudely interrupted by the invading realisation that my dress was doubling up under my feet with each step I took, and that my cloud like train was dragging everything in its sight with it!

Ah well… What can you do? I kicked my feet as hard as I could so I wouldn’t go down with it! 🙂

Typically, like many bride to be’s and many singles I had consumed copious amounts of gorgeous edited wedding videos on Youtube, aswell as beautiful filtered photos on social media. Too much of this and you almost- just almost forget that imperfection exists. For those that don’t know I am quite the perfectionist (It can sometimes be a bit sickening). The whole Microsoft Office suite played a major feature in our wedding planning and should have been given a shout out during the speeches!

For a perfectionist and orderly person like me it was difficult to ignore a lot of things that didn’t go as planned on the day, and it was equally frustrating when I was unable to physically walk over and fix things or put things straight.

Once I (finally) got to the end of the aisle, I looked at Stan and smiled. Although outwardly I was a little bit frazzled, inwardly my posture was one of complete stillness, peace and joy. In that moment, I realised that just like our wedding day, we were also two very imperfect people vowing before God and our closest and dearest to spend the rest of our lives here on earth with each other. Our journey, our story, our personalities, our visions, our purposes, faith, future and hope was laid out before me, and it was in that moment that I breathed a sigh of release…

…I found him who my soul loves… (Songs of Solomon 3:4) and that is all that matters. Grace then made its grand entrance and enveloped my heart with an overwhelming sense of peace and calm.

Weddings come and go. People get married every single day, and everyday there is someone new to celebrate.

The secret to having a truly beautiful day cannot be really found in the perfectly positioned hair or manicured nails, blinding diamond ring or delicate drapes and lighting.

They all have their place, but what makes a wedding day truly beautiful is the exchange taking place between two people, and the blessing of the Lord upon a couple. Grace, mercy and love all coming and agreeing to walk together in the hearts of two people as they make a decision to become one.

My song choice for my entrance was “Holy Spirit” by Bryan and Katie Torwalt.

You can listen to it here.

Holy Spirit you are welcome here was prayerfully upon my heart for weeks because in truth without welcoming the Holy Spirit to lead and direct us we go astray, and cannot walk in wisdom and knowledge.

Without the Lord there is no life within us.

It is far easier to go through the motions in order to receive the applause and validation from culture and tradition but to receive endorsement, direction, affirmation and applause from the Lord is priceless.

To my sisters who are currently engaged, or in a courtship praying and planning for marriage my advice would be not to focus on the peripheral things. They have their place but I plead with you to keep your mind, eyes and heart upon the relationship that you are in because that will endure long after the lights have gone out at the hall, the food has finished and all the guests have take danced, clapped, laughed, drank and left (with theirs and other peoples favours!) to continue their own lives.

Becoming so preoccupied with the details and with the wedding day itself can rob you of the blessing of the actual moment. Prayer is essential. Pray for yourself, Pray for the day, pray for your husband to be, pray with those that are around you if you can. To be continued in another post .

Some pics from our wedding day! 🙂

Waiting and reflecting 26/02/2016
Waiting and reflecting
26/02/2016
26/02/2016
26/02/2016

NEW JOURNALS ad

CONNECT with me in the following ways!
INSTAGRAM :: http://www.instagram.com/theechoesofherheart
TWITTER :: https://twitter.com/TEOHH1
FACEBOOK :: https://www.facebook.com/The-Echoes-of-Her-Heart-1690754931205211/
TUMBLR :: http://teohh.tumblr.com

Written by

32 Comments
  • Amandine says:

Oh, c’est magnifique !!
    Superbe article

• Melinda says:

Lovely Alethea! Beautiful dress and venue too! 🙂

• Rachel G says:

Honestly, the ‘imperfections’ from my wedding day are the stories that I love to tell the most–what fun is a story that is entirely perfect? My aunt lost my husband-to-be’s wedding ring and a hurried search of the church was made until we found the ring on the floor of the women’s bathroom. haha! It’s little mishaps like that that made our wedding day totally our own, and I’m grateful for the stories I get to tell years later! 🙂

• theechoesofherheart@gmail.com says:

Haha yes!! So so true. It’s not funny at the time but later on you can laugh lol and encourage other bride to be’s that the world doesn’t end!! ? Life goes on, and God is still to be praised!! X

• You are beautiful! And your post is too! Love the song you selected for your entry. Bless you!!!

• Alethea, you and your photos are beautiful! As is your heart. I think you could be in one of those magazines! Enjoyed your post.

• Sarah Jean says:

Stunning photos, but more importantly – great advice! My wedding was also imperfect/perfect. We planned an outdoor wedding…and it ended up pouring the whole day. However, God was gracious to give us 45 minutes of clear skies in between downpours to have the ceremony outside. In the end, the fact that we got married is all I care about now.

• You are gorgeous and your day sounds beautiful!! Yes- imperfect day, imperfect people. There is no marriage in which sinners aren’t making a commitment they can’t possibly live up to- but God!! Praising the Lord for women like you who know it’s all about HIM and live marriages that honor Him. Thanks for sharing and encouraging others!

• theechoesofherheart@gmail.com says:

Thank you Bethany for your kind words! indeed it is all about Him!- always about Him! xx

• Great perspective! Only in HIM!

• Kia Stephens says:

From this angle your wedding looks simply stunning Alethea. Truly it is amazing how God makes our imperfect perfect and beautiful. I enjoyed reading your perspective on before, during and after and as a wife almost 13 years in, I could not agree more. Many single women would fare well to listen to the advice you are offering today. Thanks for this post and be blessed! – Kia

• Alethea Awuku says:

Hi Kia!
      Aww thank you so so much for your comment. Indeed it is very true how He makes things beautiful- not us! To God be the glory for 13 years!. I popped over to your blog and I must say it really struck a cord with it- God bless you for your ministry. It is so so needed and God knows this! There are many women who have “father” issues. I struggled greatly in this area and blogged about it on Fathers day.. I would love to contribute by writing a guest post for your blog! x

• Karlene says:

Beautiful images and thoughts! So glad we were neighbors at #Grace&Truth so I didn’t miss this post. Could imperfect be the new perfect? From one perfectionist to another, we can dream. 🙂 Blessings.

• Alethea Awuku says:

Aww thank you Karlene! Yes imperfect could well be the new perfect! Ha! Thank you for your comment love. xx

• Alethea, what a lovely remembrance of your special day! I chose this as one of my featured faves from last week’s Thursday Favorite Things. I will be featuring you this week on my Thursday post!

Shellie

• Alethea Awuku says:

Hi Shellie!
      Aw thank you very much for your comment!
      Wow thats exciting thank you!!
      I will be sure to check it out!
      x

• […] The Echoes Of Her Heart – Our Imperfect, Perfect Wedding […]

• Liz says:

So beautiful! Congratulations! I pray God will bless, guide, and strengthen your marriage!

• Every wedding is like that- I know ours had a bunch of things not go according to plan, weather anyone? lol. but so beautiful to enjoy the moment, and not worry about the things that won’t really matter in eternity. 🙂
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful day with us!

• Yvonne Chase says:

That’s marriage; two imperfect people perfectly suited for each other. May God continue to richly bless your union. You and your wedding photos are gorgeous. LOVE the dress! Glad you didn’t let it take you down…

• Alethea Awuku says:

Thank you for stopping by Yvonne and for your kind words! I know right!? That would have been certainly very memorable!?

• Sherry Stahl says:

You are beautiful through and through. Praying a blessing on your marriage!
    ~Sherry
    xoxo

• […] my own wedding last year. You can read about my amazing husband and I’s road to covenant and perfect, imperfect wedding in other […]

Alethea Awuku